Algorithm of Solving of Problem Situation (ASPS)
- The constant use of ARIZ-85B over the 5 years in order to solve technical problems by the very author of this work, as well as the listeners of the seminars allows to shorten the intermediate steps of part 1 of the algorithm, to detail the concept and the wording of the operating time in part 2 and on its basis to refine the steps of part 3. Also, the author things that the analysis of the resources should only be done after the Ideal Final Result is formulated and there's an opportunity of doing such analysis purposefully. The main structure of ASPS was set towards the year 1990, over the course of following years it was checked by solving of tens of problems and showed it's high adaptability to manufacture. During this time certain wording in the steps of the algorithm were refined for clarity.
Mark Meerovich Laboratory " Ukraine TRIZ-education"
(Short version of ARPS - without detail comments)
Algorithm is a tool FOR ORGANIZATION of thinking - NOT a REPLACEMENT of it!
Don't hurry. Carefully think over every STEP and write them down.
Technical system for ...............(specify the Primary Function - PF)
by means of ...............(specify the Principle of Operation - PO)
consists of ................(enumerate the all parts of the system)
In the process of realization of the PF: .........(specify the PF),
a Harmful Effect 1 (HE1): .........(specify HE1) occurs.
In order to eliminate HE1: .........(specify HE1),
Means Of Removing (MOR): .........(specify possible MOR) can be used.
But when using these MORs, new Harmful Effects 2 (HE2) occur.
...............(Specify HE2 for every MOR).
Write the scheme of the problem without professional terms:
Examine variants of the Technical Contradictions (TC) in their extreme states and write them down.
TC1: MOR ð HE1** ð HE2
IF MOR: .........(Specify MOR) enter
THEN HE1: .........(Specify HE1) removed
BUT new HE2: .........(Specify HE2) appears
TC2: MOR ð HE2 ð HE1
IF MOR: .........(Specify MOR) don't enter
THEN HE2: .........(Specify HE2) doesn't appear
BUT HE1: .........( Specify HE1) remained
Step 2. Formulation of the invention problem
_____ ____ ____
MOR ð HE2 + HE1
It is necessary to find such an X-element, which
while preserving the capability of ABSENTEE MOR: .........(specify MOR)
to not create HE2: .........(specify HE2),
would also remove .........(specify HE1).
Step 3. Determine the Operation Zone (ZOP) -
- the space, where the conflict takes place
The composition of the ZOP must consist of:
- An object, which will be subjected to a harmful influence (HE1), and
- An object, which exerts the harmful influence.
Step 4. Determine Operation Time (TOP).
Operation Time - TOP, which consists of:
- The time of conflict Ò1
- The time prior to the conflict Ò2
- The time of fulfillment of the Primary Function Ò3
In a general case:
Ò = T1 + T2 + T3
Three variants are possible, depending on the relationship between the time when the conflict takes place, and the time when the Primary Function performs.
4.1 Variant "Either Ò1 or Ò3 ":
Production process (Ò2 = Ò3), which has already begun, is interrupted by the conflict.
The system "waits" for the conflict to end (Ò1) in order to resume the production process.
In this case:
Ò = T1 + T3(T2)
4.2 Variant "Both Ò1 and Ò3"
The conflict takes place simultaneously with the beginning of the production process,
being its integral part.
Ò = T1(T3)+ T2
4.3 Variant "Ò1 part of Ò3"
The conflict takes place only with definite parameters of the PF. As a rule, the system's goal is to reduce Ò1 to zero, and to prevent its occurrence.
It this case:
Ò = T3 = T1 + T2
Step 5. The Physical Contradiction on the macro-level - Macro-PhC
In ZOP .........(Specify ZOP) during ...(specify the time of a fulfillment of the PF Ò3)
should be .........(specify the physical macro-state, e.g., "be long", "be hot")
in order to perform the Primary Function PF, and
should be .........(specify the opposite physical macro-state, e.g., "be short", "be cold")
in order to prevent the Harmful Effect HE1 at the time of the conflict
.........(specify the conflict time Ò1).
Step 6. The Physical Contradiction on the micro-level - micro-PhC
Between .........(specify contact surfaces) there must be particles of a substance, which
- ensure .........(specify physical state of the best for a fulfillment of PF) and
- ensure .........(specify opposite physical state, in which ÂE1 doesn't appear).
Step 7. Ideal Final Result - IFR
Technical system should ITSELF provide a presence of particles between .........(specify contacting surfaces), which would ensure .........(specify opposite physical states).
Formulate the demands on the characteristics of the particles which would ensure the conditions under which the HE1 would occur:
The particles must be.........
Analyze the composition of the system and figure out whether or not the system has the elements that are the required characteristics.
If the problem is solved move on to the part 7 of ARIZ-85B,
If the problem isn't solved, continue the analysis under part 4 of ARIZ-85B.
* Steps 1 - 2 ASPS were developed on the basis of work of V. Korolev "The First Part"-
Steps 3 - 7 were developed on the basis of steps 2nd and 3rd parts of ARIZ-85B by G. Altshuller - comment of author (M. Meyerovich).
**Line above the abbreviation, e.g. HE1, marks it's opposite state or its absence (not-HE1) - comment of author (M. Meyerovich).
© - M. Meyerovich
Translated by Ivan Prokoshyn (Canada)
Mark Meerovich born in 1941
TRIZ Expert (20 years experience).
Master of TRIZ (qualified by Genrich Altshuller). Master of Science in Engineering.
Professor (logistics, project management) at the ChOUEHS, Odessa, Ukraine and leader of the Scientific-practical Laboratory "Ukraine TRIZ-education" (ChOUEHS, Odessa, Ukraine).
TRIZ experience: 20 years experience in problem solving management (research problem, manufactures problems, management problems etc.). Large experience in TRIZ education (more than 80 seminars). Former students: engineers, researchers, managers, children, and schoolteachers.
Area of scientific interests: Technology of forming creative thinking and "Cutting-edge pedagogic" that develops characteristic of a creative individual in students.
More than 20 publications and 3 books (on technology of developing of creative thinking).